Tree Pruning your trees and shrubs will help them lead a long and healthy life.
The late dormant season is best time for most pruning. Pruning in late winter, just before spring growth starts, leaves fresh wounds exposed for only a short length of time before new growth begins the wound sealing process.
Another advantage of dormant pruning is that it’s easier to make pruning decisions without leaves obscuring plant branch structure. Pruning at the proper time can avoid certain disease and physiological problems:
Pruning large established trees
The most common types of tree pruning are:
- Crown Thinning – selectively removing branches on young trees throughout the crown. This promotes better form and health by increasing light penetration and air movement. Strong emphasis is on removing weak branches. (Don’t overdo it on mature trees.)
- Crown Raising – removing lower branches on developing or mature trees to allow more clearance above lawns, sidewalks, streets, etc.
- Crown Reduction – removing larger branches at the top of the tree to reduce its height. When done properly, crown reduction pruning is different from topping because branches are removed immediately above lateral branches, leaving no stubs. Crown reduction is the least desirable pruning practice. It should be done only when absolutely necessary.
- Crown Cleaning – the selective removal of dead, dying and disease wood from the crown of the tree.
Prune to improve plant appearance
Appearance in the landscape is essential to a plant’s usefulness. For most landscapes, a plant’s natural form is best.
Arrow Tree and Landscaping can prune to:
- control plant size and shape
- keep shrubby evergreens well-proportioned and dense
- remove unwanted branches, waterspouts, suckers, and undesirable fruiting structures that detract from appearance
Prune to protect people and property:
- Remove dead branches
- Have hazardous trees taken down
- Prune out weak or narrow-angled tree branches that overhang homes, parking areas, and sidewalks – anyplace falling limbs could injure people or damage property
- Eliminate branches that interfere with street lights, traffic signals, and overhead wires- Please contact your local utility company for maintenance if there are trees overhanging the power lines.
- For security purposes, prune shrubs or tree branches that obscure the entry to your home
Arrow Tree and Landscaping understands that tree pruning and tree trimming are an essential component to healthy, safe and structurally sound trees. There are several important reasons for tree pruning services and there are also different types of pruning and trimming practices.
We strongly recommend tree pruning for the reasons below:
- Thinning tree to reduce size and weight
- Removing weak, dying or dead limbs to increase safety
- Improve shape or clearance to ensure trees are away from the house or other improvements
- Cleaning of branches and structure to allow more light on lawn
Our Certified Arborists can also assist you with the different types of pruning.
Crown Cleaning and Thinning
Cleaning of a trees’ crown can include pruning away dead limbs or dying and diseased branches. Every tree is different in terms of size and needs and one of our tree specialists can provide a free consultation to inform you of your options for crown cleaning.
Thinning out touching, rubbing and/or crossing limbs can help reduce the number of branch structures that impede light from reaching your lawn. Thinning a tree by pruning or trimming can also help with safety to ensure the wind resistance in a tree canopy is reduced.
Probably one of the most common practices utilized for tree pruning is pruning the deadwood out of a tree and the trees’ canopy. Tree services typically include pruning the dying, diseased or dead limbs as it helps promote both a healthy and safe tree.
Pruning services also are performed on trees as a preventative measure to minimize storm damage, dropped limbs and prevent any large deadwood branches from leaning on or landing on a house or valuable structure.
Do you have small animals keeping you up? Are there branches touching your roof or windows? Pruning tree services such as removing limbs away from your house are extremely common.
Generally speaking, clearing and pruning branches away from a house or other improvement is necessary to provide safety clearance while not harming the tree and keep it structurally sound. limbs away from a structure is completed by certain footage effective to clear the structure but at the same time not harming the tree and keeping its structural integrity.
Selective tree pruning can provide enhanced views of the scenery around your house – maybe of the lawn, field, and hill or even to improve sight visibility when entering and leaving your driveway. Vista pruning typically requires a professional to ensure all the proper cuts are made and the trees maintains its current health, vigor and structure.
Tree Removal is another service that we provide.